52:57 minutes (24.24 MB)
Our guest, Jennifer Dorman, gave lots of great information about using RSS in education.
- We defined RSS feeds (sorta like a magazine subscription, but online);
- We discussed why you would want to use it as a teacher, and in your classroom;
- We shared examples of how we use it (sometimes for ourselves and our professional development, sometimes to automate information given to and from students); and
- We talked about opportunities and challenges.
You can find our planning wiki here.
Some featured bookmarks from the show are here:
- From Jennifer Dorman:
RSS for Educators wiki page
RSS Presentation file
- RSS in Plain English (from Lee LeFever at CommonCraft, examples it really simply)
A more extensive list of bookmark is here on Diigo.
One issue that came up was the lack of RSS on content pages geared towards students. We've used feeds from Highlights, and Discovery Science. If you have other elementary-age content that has an RSS feed, please share it on in our Diigo group, or here as a comment. Thanks!
Chat Log Below